The front-runners in the coming Edo state governorship election are familiar foes. Both men have been in the same political camp, before political differences and aspirations made them part ways.
While Godwin Obaseki, a man who boasts of a heavy resume will fly the APC’s flag, Osagie Ize-Iyamu who emerged on Monday, June 20 as the PDP governorship candidate will also prove his mettle.
Although, the APC man seems to have his own strengths, there are at least 10 things to know about Ize-Iyamu, the PDP governorship flagbearer.
1. Osagie Ize-Iyamu was born in Benin City, now in present day Edo state on the June 21, 1962 to the family of late Chief R.O. Ize-Iyamu (Esogban of Benin) and late Mrs Magdalene Ize-Iyamu nee Obasohan. He is from Iguododo, Orhionmwon, Edo State, Nigeria.
2. He started his education career from St. Joseph Primary School and Ebenezer Nursery and Primary School in Benin City. He had his Secondary education at Edo College the premier secondary school in Edo state and passed out with grade I in his West African Examination Council (WAEC) Examinations. He attended the University of Benin where he graduated with an LLB (Hons) and proceeded to the Nigerian Law School, Lagos where he bagged the Bachelor of Law (BL).
3. Osagie Ize-Iyamu is a Nigerian politician as well as a pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) and a former chief of staff and secretary to Edo state government.
4. He had been a top member of the All Progressives Congress (APC) before he decamped to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
5. Ize-Iyamu was likewise the national vice chairman, South-South zone of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).
6. He was the director general of the Adams Oshiomhole’s second term campaign organisation, but later fell out with the governor.
7. He coordinated the office of the Goodluck/Sambo campaign organisation, and ensured he contributed his own quota to the organisation.
8. The PDP governorship flagbearer was the chairman of Oredo local government council, Benin City, in 1983, under the zero party system.
9. He showcased his knowledge in management and entrepreneurial spirit when he set up the magnificent I.O Farms Training Institute, which is a model farm settlement at Ugbor-Amagba communities, Benin City, Edo State. The institute has churned out hundreds of young agriculturist.
10. He was recently honoured by the Benson Idahosa University, a private Higher Institution of Learning in Edo state, with an honourary doctorate degree in public administration.