The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, is reputed to be one of Nigeria’s most influential politicians ever. The man popularly called Jagaban did not cave into pressure to join the then ruling party as most typical Nigerian politicians did. Having conquered the southwest region politically, Tinubu reached out to like minds across other zones in the country and they forged what is today Nigeria’s ruling party, the APC.
As expected, many of Tinubu’s political proteges and other ambitious opposition politicians in the southwest region will have plans to step into the big shoes of the Jagaban someday. Below is five politicians who are capable of effectively playing the role of Tinubu if or when he quits politics.
1. Governor Ayo Fayose: His current ‘noise-making’ role as an opposition politician reminds political watchers of the role Tinubu played as an opposition leader under the stifling administration of former president, Olusegun Obasanjo.
2. Governor Rauf Aregbesola: The governor of Osun state is a student of Tinubu’s political school. Many say he is the perfect replacement for the Jagaban because of his long association and staunch loyalty to the former governor of Lagos state.
3. Governor Olusegun Mimiko: At 60, he has seen it all. He has been an Ondo state commissioner, secretary to the Ondo state government, minister, governor and to cap it all, he is the current leader of the PDP governors forum.
4. Senator Remi Tinubu: Her position as the wife of Tinubu puts her in a good position to take over from her husband when the time is right. A serving senator, Remi will no doubt have learnt a lot from her husband and will be ready to take over from him when the opportunity presents itself.
5. Governor Ibikunle Amosun: He has the advantage of being a close ally of President Muhammadu Buhari since their days at the defunct All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP). Political watchers say if the president feels politically strangulated by Tinubu’s influence in the southwest, Amosun will be the president’s go-to person who will be tasked to reduce Tinubu to size.
Culled from NAIJ