The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has rejected alleged plan by the federal government to recruit former members of the Boko Haram terrorists group into the Nigerian Army and the police. The association said the plan is condemnable and should be discouraged, Daily Trust reports. The president of CAN, Samson Ayokunle, said such move is capable of undermining the nation’s security system. Ayokunle in a statement signed by his spokesperson, Adebayo Oladeji, urged the federal government to withdraw such policy which is capable of compromising Nigeria's security system. He said: “CAN is visibly disturbed at reports that the Federal Government has allegedly directed the Nigerian Army and Police to recruit some former members of Boko Haram terrorists who recently underwent deradicalisation programme. “If it is true, CAN condemns such a policy in strong terms and ask the Federal Government, especially security agencies, to withdraw that directive which is capable of compromising the nation’s security system." Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that over 2000 internally displaced persons from Guzamala village returned to their homeland on Tuesday, June 19.
The displaced persons were formally living in Bakassi IDP Camp in Maiduguri today before the return which was facilitated by the federal government. The IDPs numbering about 2,043 individuals are from up 378 households which constitute the first batch of IDPs who willingly expressed the desire to return to their communities to resettle and resume their traditional occupation of farming and fishing, as well as other socio-economic activities.