Social media has been abuzz with news that the Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Aremu Akiolu, publicly disrespected the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi II at a recent event. The 27 second video which surfaced on Tuesday, April 25, has continued to generate controversy, arguments and counter-arguments. The Oba of Lagos has been trending on Twitter for over 24 hours with many Nigerians criticizing him for his action.
However, report has it that the Oba of Lagos did not “shun” the Ooni on purpose as he has a problem with his sight and has suffered from Glaucoma for 21 year. He may not have realised who had come to greet him. We have gathered some of the things that would have likely happened to the Oba of Lagos if it were to be in the 18th century.
1. The Ooni would have likely ordered his aides to behead Oba Of Lagos on the spot.
2. He could have been thrown into prison.
3. Calabash would have been sent for his head.
4. He could have cursed him with madness.
5. This would have meant war on the kingdom of Lagos.
6. The war would have led to enslavement of the people of Lagos.